Tuesday, March 11, 2008

sabbath-part 2-a time to let go

No, I haven't been raptured. Life has been absorbing my attention in other areas and I guess maybe I've needed a break from this blog for a bit. But I am looking forward to writing some more, especially about my growing interest in the concept of Sabbath largley sparked by Mark Buchanan's The Rest of God.

Mark talks a fair bit about Sabbath being firstly a state mind before being something you do or don't do. It's a releasing of the "have to's" of life, trusting them to God, and focusing on things that the working life doesn't make allowances for. Mark identifies what he calls the Sabbath's Golden Rule, "Cease from what is necessary, embrace that which gives life".

I find that perspective so refreshing. I know I have enjoyed Sabbath in my life, but it's so easily become clouded with a focus on what I can't do on that day! A time to stop! And yet the sense I'm getting recently is that it's more about releasing the burdens of life (because God will take care of them) and embracing the beauties of life. I'm also becoming more convinced that the application of Sabbath is different for each person as we each have different "work" in life. Releasing burdens and embracing life for one may be entirely different for another. For instance, the burden of work for one person might be yard work, while that very same activity may be a delightful rest from the pressures of life for another. Going to church for some (such as a pastor or other person with leadership responsibilities) may be heavily laden with "oughts" while it may be a rejuvenating sanctuary for others. Shopping, for many, may be a time that occupies the mind with financial pressures, consumer cravings, and the needs of life, while for another a relaxing window shopping excursion with a friend (with a stop along the way at the coffee/smoothie shop) may bring great healing to a usually harried heart.

The Sabbath command to rest from carrying our "ought to" burdens is given in spite of the needs still present. In spite of the unfinished projects. In spite of people still clamoring for our attention. Sabbath is not something to prepare for by getting everything accomplished so much as it is letting the unaccomplished things go for a space in time. It's God given permission to focus on soul nourishment.

It's in the letting go of the myriads of unfinished "oughts" that we can truly discover the God given beauties of life where ever they may found (a friend, an activity, a food, etc.).

1 comment:

Erin said...

This is good: "It's in the letting go of the myriad of unfinished "oughts" that we can truly discover the God given beauties of life where ever they may be found"

I think too many of us miss this concept...I know I do. I think everyone's "oughts" are different...but we all need a regular rest from them.

Great thoughts, Hanan.