Wednesday, May 20, 2009

life is a hike



















I just got off the phone with my buddy where we were engaged in one of our many conversations about life-its meaning, direction, fulfillment, purpose, etc. As the conversation developed, these mental images emerged about having vision in one's life and knowing where you are going. We were contrasting the ideas of living with a sense of vision for your life verses living in the moment and trusting God to lead you.

I think it's like a railroad. As a human I want to know where I'm going, how I'm going to get there, and be assured that the path is laid out. I want (I think) to be locked on rails taking me somewhere successful and fulfilling.

However, the reality is that life is probably more like a hike. I get glimpses of vision (mountain peaks, serene valleys, tropical beaches, etc.) and I start making my way there. All I have is a compass. Generally I move in the pictured direction. Countless times I will have to take side trips, backtrack around obstacles, get focused on working out the details of an obstacle at hand, sometimes even completely lose sight of the vision, and (most of all) learn to appreciate the journey. The "vision" keeps me moving, but not just to get to the destination. I need to keep moving so I can truly live the moments, and yet I can't get so driven that I miss the moments along the way.

Life is not a passive, direct train ride. It's a dynamic meandering through the forest of life compelled by a vision, guided by a compass, and lived in the moment.

Now, that's heady enough. What do the metaphors of vision and compass stand for practically in my life?

I wrestle on.....

No comments: