Tuesday, June 23, 2009

church as facebook

Recently I've attended frequent church social functions and been hit anew with a very positive aspect of my church life.

Church is a Facebook of sorts. In other words, it's a massive social networking site. Now, I know many would beg to differ based on their experience. I also recognize that being a pastor in my church gives me another level of automatic social connection that not everyone experiences.

However, it remains true for me, that my church gives me an instant social community wherever I go. No community is perfect and church community comes with its load of flaws. But, to be able to enter a new community, as I did last fall, and instantly be involved in countless BBQs, outings, home meal invitations, etc is a real privilege. Even the weekly meeting event called worship, although lacking greatly in being able to provide deep levels of friendship, still allows me to connect with people and build a social community very fast.

I don't know if this excuses institutional spirituality from some of it's other flaws, but it certainly is a benefit that I do well to appreciate.

Just some thoughts...

No comments: