Thursday, April 17, 2008

dreaming of a church

Reading has been slow lately largely due to a lot of different issues on my mind as of late. When reading consumption slows so does writing output. However, I have been picking my way through Church Re-Imagined by Doug Pagitt. He's the pastor of Solomon's Porch in Minneapolis and the author of Preaching Re-Imagined of which I blogged about earlier.

I'm drawn to this book not only because the last one was good, but because I resonate so much with the title. The last several years have been a time of chasing mental dreams about what spiritual community is either supposed to be like or, better yet, can be.

The purpose of the book seems to be to let others experience in a small way a week in the life of the Solomon's Porch community. To facilitate the experience, there are half a dozen or so different members who add they're raw journal entries sprinkled throughout the book.

The following is a list of the dreams that are identified early in the book. I have emboldened the ones that really speak to me and added comments in parenthesis.

WE DREAM OF A CHURCH WHERE...
1. We listen to and are obedient to God. (through the Holy Spirit's speaking to our hearts)
2. People who are not Christians become followers of God in the way of Jesus.
3 Those who are not involved in church would become an active part of it.
4. People are deeply connected to God in all of life: body, mind, soul, and spirit.
5. Beauty, art, and creativity are valued, used, and understood as coming from the Creator.
6. Culture is met, embraced, and transformed.
7. Joy, fun, and excitement are part of our lives.
8. The Kingdom of God is increased in real ways in the world. (note-the Kingdom of God-not just our religious institutions)
9. The biblical story of God is told and contributed to.
10. Biblical justice, mercy, grace, love, and righteousness lead the way.
11. Truth, honesty, and health are a way of life.
12. We value innovation and are willing to take risks in order to bring glory to God.
13. Worship of God is full, vibrant, real, and pleasing to God.
14. Faith, hope, and love are the context for all.
15. The next generation of leadership is built up, and leaders are servants.
16. Everyone is equipped to do ministry.
17. God's Spirit takes precedence over all structures and systems.
18. Christian Community is the attraction to outsiders and the answer to questions of faith. (I would clarify for myself by saying "an" attraction as opposed to "the" attraction)
19. People participate in the Kingdom of God in accordance with their abilities and gifts.
20. We are connected to , dependent on, and serve the global Church.
21. People learn the ways of God and are encouraged to make them central to their lives.
22. Other churches are valued and supported.
23. People's visions and ideas of ministry come to life.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book and I totally agree with the idea that a day of rest is a necessity of life.

As a youth I always found the Sabbath to be burdensome with a lot of rules around what I could and couldn't do. I've come to terms with this and look forward to my weekly rest. I read an incredible book by Abraham Heschel entitled "The Sabbath" written I believe in 1957. This book showed me what Sabbath is from a Jewish perspective and I have not viewed the Sabbath the same since. Abraham Heschel paints an absolutely beautiful picture of what God created the Sabbath to be. Well worth the read.