Tuesday, February 5, 2008

frogs

Tonight I asked my children at the supper table, "What kind of animal do you think a Christian should be like?" A frog was not one of their answers. But frogs would be the answer found in this latest book that I've just completed reading.

Paul shares an inspiring story of how God has directed his life, very supernaturally at times, and how he's increasingly asked the question "why?" when it comes to so much of what we do in organized religion and the results we get. He reveals a story of God using him and some friends at an early age to be part of a quickly growing ministry, and then at the height of it all, asking them to cease. From there he goes on to serve at a multi staffed church for a season, and it's in that environment that the why questions really begin to flourish, until God leads him out of that system.

Then he spends time working through various parts of Scripture (Old & New Testaments) expounding on how he believes God is calling a new generation to leave the safety and familiarity of "religious props" and follow Jesus wherever He leads in our world on a mission to expand the Kingdom of God.

This is where he incorporates the term amphibious. Frogs, which belong to this class of animals, need to swim in the water to stay moist, and yet must come out to get warm as they posses no heat of their own. Similarly, followers of Jesus are called to swim in the great sea of culture to love people for Jesus, and yet must come out and find renewal in time spent with other close relationships with fellow believers. It's a dual world we're called to live in.

And...it's only in water that frogs reproduce! Good thought there!

I don't really have the hang (or discipline) of doing a proper book review. I'm simply attempting to share some of my excitement about what I'm reading. I think I'll be talking more about this book in upcoming posts.

I would encourage you to get a copy of it if you want a challenging read!

No comments: