Saturday, February 23, 2008

sabbath-part 1

Someone loaned me this book a couple of weeks ago. I was excited to start reading it at some point because it seems like a theme that maybe God wants me to consider as I've also recently acquired another book on the Sabbath which I haven't yet read, and several others I still wish to purchase. For these reasons, I figure this may end up to be a series of posts over time on the subject of Sabbath. Now, for some who don't know me, I'm no stranger to the concept of Sabbath. For as long as I can remember being mentally aware of my surroundings (meaning childhood-not an unhealthy mental condition) I have been immersed in a faith system that practices Sabbath keeping-of sorts.

The last several years have found me struggling with the whole concept of Sabbath as I've understood it. While there are parts of it I've appreciated, on the whole, I've wanted to be liberated from it. It has felt a bit like a choker chain to me-a day where you cease enjoying life, attempt to make God happy, and (in my case as a pastor) work more than any other day of the week (doing a work that's not considered "work" to most people in my faith system). I've simply shifted my focus from a legalistic practice of Sabbath to what the Sabbath symbolizes for me spiritually.

I'm kind of intrigued as I've come across these books as of late that are going to challenge me in the practice of Sabbath, but in a fresh new way. I've only started the above pictured book (read the intro and chapter one) but I sense in it a liberating way to approach the practice of Sabbath.

For starters, what if Sabbath is about finding rest from whatever produces unrest in my life, even though the causes for unrest are still present. It's kind of like a God ordained "nap" in spite of all the work still clamoring to get done (could be actual things to be done, things to worry about, etc.)? And, what if the practices for Sabbath keeping center around these 4 general activities: rest, worship, feasting, and play? If those are indeed healthy Sabbath practices, my ears are already perking up. What if Sabbath is not about what you can't do, but about what you have Godly permission to do that typical life doesn't either allow to be done or appreciated fully for various reasons?

3 comments:

elisa said...

hi hanan - it's been a long time - i ran across your blog and the topic of sabbath intrigues me as well... i want to recommend another book "Sabbath" by Wayne Muller - also very encouraging and insightful. i'll be reading your posts on the topic... hope you are well - Elisa Brown

Hanan Merrill said...

Elisa, thanks for the comment. In the post I mentioned that I've come across other books on the Sabbath and the one by Wayne Muller is one of them. I was in Portland last month at a second hand store and saw it. I picked it up and then a couple of weeks ago someone gave me the one pictured in the post, as well as I've seen a couple more that I still want to purchase. The one by Wayne looks very good and it's waiting on my to read shelf. I'm working on the above one as it's a loaner right now.

Good to hear from you. I'd welcome what your thoughts about Sabbath are these days.

Unknown said...

Hanan - Great posts on the Sabbath. I'm actually writing a book about various Christian home and community liturgies, of which I've incorporated a Sabbath liturgy that our family has been celebrating over several years.

Your thoughts are really clear and well-expressed. Thx.

Gavin