Sunday, February 10, 2008

glossary for paul

“What Paul Meant”, by Garry Wills, was both a trudge and coast (for me) to get between its covers. Along the way, he makes some revealing propositions regarding the apostle Paul.

  • Paul was for gender equality.
  • Paul was not against Jews.
  • Paul’s writings are the closest writings we have of the early body of Jesus’ followers, written well before the Gospels (which were probably a mishmash of 2nd, 3rd, or 4th hand accounts themselves).
  • Paul’s writings probably give us the clearest picture of what it looks like to live life as a follower of Christ soon after His ascension.
  • Of the 13 books often attributed to Paul’s authorship, only 7 can be most certainly identified as his.
  • Luke’s account of Paul’s life in Acts of the Apostles (yes, Luke is the author of Acts) was likely written more from a theological agenda than historical accuracy, including some of the popular stories like Paul’s conversion. Much of Luke’s writings don’t seem to mesh well with what Paul says about himself in the writings known to be his.
  • Paul, like Jesus, never intended to start a religion. Religion was what got them both killed.
  • Paul believed in ultimately living by the rule of love, similar to Jesus.

In the appendix of the book, many terms from Paul, that we use nowadays, are cleaned up. In other words, based off of our view of Paul from a well developed 21st century religion (Christianity), we interpret words from his writings in ways that he had no intention of meaning. Following is a rough rendition of this glossary. Listed first is the popular term and second is what it more likely meant to Paul.

Christians Brothers

A family of both Gentiles & Jews that believed in the risen Messiah-not a term for a new religion.

Christ Messiah

A term, not Jesus last name as it can almost sound in the way it’s used nowadays..

Church Gathering

Simple gatherings of the “brothers/sisters”. Not a hierarchical structured religion.

Gospel Revelation

Preach Bring the Revelation

Faith Trust

Justification Vindication

Be Converted Be Summoned

Salvation Be Rescued

Redemption Release

Grace Favor

Apostle Emissary

Messegers sent between gatherings. Not rulers. Paul even indicates there were women emissaries (apostles).

Bishop Overseer

Supposedly Paul only uses this term once in “his” writings and it’s in reference to informal leaders, not a ruling structure with titles.

To further get my mind around Mr. Wills’ writing, I will need to go back again sometime for a closer read. For now I’m intrigued by what I do understand!

4 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like an interesting read, Hanan. Did you feel it was lining up with the understanding you already have of these things? Some of that really catches me off guard, so I'm just curious.

Hanan Merrill said...

Erin, yes, much of it did seem to line up and other stuff like Luke's writings possibly conflicting in ways with Paul's are a new one for me that will take more time to study/process.

What was it that caught you off guard?

Erin said...

I'm sure not unique to this book, but stated so plainly...I think it stems from in my religious life how I've been taught that Paul was against gender equality etc...because the image of Paul I've learned was so rule-oriented...that he really just wanted to add Jesus to the law...that he loved structured religion....

I mean I know this stuff now, but some of it doesn't align with the interpretations I was taught most of my life.

Hanan Merrill said...

I would be really curious to get your take on the book (What Paul Meant)if you ever get a chance to read it.

I need to dig out another book that I have specifically dealing with Paul and his dealings/beliefs re: women.

Have a great day.