Sunday, January 13, 2008

...let the "Son" of God enfold you...


Some time ago I began collecting quotes that stand out to me, either from conversations or from books, and recording them in my Palm Pilot. For some I've kept the author's names and others (unfortunately) I haven't.

I offer the following for your mental digestion today.

My wise dad (physical one!) often said that you never convince anyone by arguing with them. I really think that he's right. Argument makes people defensive, the walls go up. It's like the old story of the sun & wind having a competition about which one could get the coat off the man - blustering only wrapped it tighter, warmth won out by being gentle.

Patti

Another on a different note.

A fundamental mistake of the conservative side of the American church today, and much of the Western church, is that it takes as its basic goal to get as many people as possible ready to die and go to heaven. It aims to get people into heaven rather than to get heaven into people. Renovation of the Heart-Dallas Willard

My thoughts in summary-Jesus (the "Sun" of God) said something to the effect-God's kingdom is at hand. It's all around you. It's even in you. Reminds me of the chorus, "Oh let the Son of God enfold you, with His mercy and His grace."



3 comments:

Pam Hogeweide said...

i totally recognize that lyric from my calvary chapel days and listening to chuck smith on the radio. that was his program's theme song. are you a calvary chapelite???

(i like your site. i'm gonna add you to my google reader!)

Hanan Merrill said...

are you a calvary chapelite???

Hi Pam,

Can't really say that I am in the sense of being aware of everything that they produce and keeping up with it. However, I'm sure that I've appreciated many of their songs, including this one.
Hanan

Pam Hogeweide said...

so great to meet you and your wife shiela this past weekend. what a surprise! and your timing was awesome since the amazing kathy escobar was in town and preached for us.

so glad you introduced yourself and that you got to meet erin, too.

don't ya just love the blogosphere!