Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lighter reading material.....of sorts

After yesterday's emotionally charged day, it was time to read about someone else's emotionally charged life.

I was tempted to bring home the previous book that I've started to read, Preaching Reimagined, but felt strongly that I should leave it at my church office until Monday. This weekend I need things not so closely related to my work.

Having had a long standing interest in emergency work and currently enjoying the role of a part time rookie firefighter, this book (among several on this topic) is of increasing interest to me. While the stories bound between its covers are high stress to the characters involved, for me, from an outside perspective, it's a relaxing, entertaining, and therapeutic read.

The writer is very talented, in my opinion, at bringing you into his world behind popular public perception. Being a naturally very curious person, I love learning about real life behind the scenes.

So far, the stories have been quite sad, as most involve death and tragedy. But, I'm only a few chapters in. I hope to get back to the book tonight. For now, I'm off to try to extend my yard barrier (fence) upward in hopes of retaining my energetic Blue Heeler, thus sparing the neighbors from her curiosity with their trash.

No comments: