Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fun book with a good question!


I just picked this book up last month when I was down in Seattle attending the "Off The Map" conference organized by Jim Henderson.

The book is the result of Jim finding an atheist, Matt Casper, who would be willing to attend 10 or so churches around the US and write about their experiences together, both from the Christian's point of view and the atheist's. The project was admittedly not an academic project, but more of a down to earth first impressions evaluation. For me it proved to be light, funny, insightful, and yet very serious at times as these guys traversed the country taking in everything from the largest mega churches to a small home gathering (Casper only on the house church).

The biggest thought that I've taken away from it is a question that kept haunting Matt Casper, the atheist. Referring to the primary thing that many churches seem to do and value (church service "shows"), he asked, "Is this what Jesus asked you guys to do?"

I enjoyed the book so much that I read it to my wife who sincerely enjoyed it. She doesn't usually like "information" books, as she herself puts it. However, this one being more focused on narrative, was right up her alley.

I too have to wonder if organized religion's focus on manufactured worship experiences, programmed fellowship and service, propositional sales styled evangelism, and bullet pointed spiritual growth plans are really what Jesus had in mind? How did He achieve these 5 purposes that Rick Warren has identified?

I could wax (may not eloquently) on concerning my thoughts on this. But for now I'll conclude with the above questions as they will probably give you some idea in and of themselves where my thoughts are tending.


No comments: