Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Jesus -- THE WAY


I'm just beginning to read Diana Butler Bass's new book, Christianity for the Rest of Us-How the Neighborhood Church Is Transforming the Faith. As I get further into it, or complete it, I'll try to give my overall description and perspective on it.

But for now, I was intrigued by an analogy Diana gives of a GPS/Mapquest system to the way we sometimes approach finding our way to God. She's come to enjoy the specific directions of this technology-go 1.3 miles, turn right on ????, go another 2.7 miles, turn left on ????, etc. The GPS simply gives you the "best" route to take, and you've just gotta follow it. But, there's something a GPS can't do. It has no idea what's really happening on the streets (traffic jams, rush hour, construction, accident scenes, etc.). One time, while trying to get home, Diana and her husband ran into construction and were going nowhere fast. Her husband asked her to pull out the old fashioned paper map. Then, by utilizing map reading skills, down to earth street signs, an awareness of what was actually happening on various streets, and some creative willingness to try a different route, they were able to successfully arrive home in shorter order than the "right way" described by the GPS.

Sometimes I feel that Christianity (human nature) portrays itself more as a GPS. It portrays a "right" way of doing things for all people and all times. Do or die. Believe what we believe, do what we do, understand as we understand, be one of us, and then you'll find Heaven in the next life.

But, what if Jesus (through the Holy Spirit's mysterious ways) isn't always leading people to the Christian religious destination? Maybe He's taking each on a unique journey that navigates the realities of the way that person sees the world and God (taking into account why such perspectives exist-i.e myriads of positive/negative real life experiences)? Realities that may garner such labels as atheist, New Age, Muslim, liberal, conservative, disgruntled with religion, and the list could be infinite.

Could Jesus' statement ("I am the way, the truth, and the life") refer to how He is the WAY (early Christians were referred to as followers of The Way), as in a wise intuitive Guide that leads His followers on the best route (for each individually) to His Father's heart for finding abundant and eternal life-starting now?

Could it be that Jesus is leading people even if they don't recognize or acknowledge Him by name?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Hanan,

been glancing at your blog and finding you musings very interesting. I can also relate to alot of the questions you present as I have had many of those same questions. A few things caught my attention tonight. One was in your post "Jesus---THE WAY" --- How sometimes our quest for Christ and His salvation is like using a GPS -- very linear in thinking. One of the things I'm starting to appreciate is the seeming multi-dimensional thinking of the Hebrew mind. Everything seems to have multiple meanings and some things are very abstract.

A book I picked up a couple years ago really opened my eyes to an aspect of this. The book is called "Sabbath" by Abrahm Heschel. I had been brought up to approach the observance of Sabbath as a series of duties.(very linear) In this book Mr. Heschel paints a very different picture of the Sabbath and what it means and talks about a slightly abstract concept of how man exists in space while God exists in time. If you get the chance you should read the book. It's small and a quick read but absolutely beautiful.

The other post that made me think of this book was your one on the bathroom and the quote it's a place to be "in the present", which as she said, "is where God is".

Read the book and you'll see why I made the connection.

Hanan Merrill said...

Thanks for your recomendation and comment. I keep a running list in my Palm of "to get" reading material to which I will add this suggestion.

The Writer said...

Hanan, glad you found me and said hi. I'm just starting to look at your blog, but this first post is very encouraging. I read this book back when if first came out. Excellent! I've recommended it to many people. I hope you keep blogging about it and I'll keep checking back.